Finnish National Commission on Sustainable Development
The Finnish National Commission on Sustainable Development is an influential forum gathering the significant societal actors together. The Commission promotes cooperation in order to achieve the sustainable development goals and strives to integrate the strategic objectives of sustainable development into the national policy, administration and social practices.
- To accelerate the implementation of the global Agenda for Sustainable Development, Agenda2030, and to make the Agenda an integral part of the national work for sustainable development.
- To follow up and review the implementation of Agenda2030 in Finland.
- To promote, monitor and review the implementation of Society's Commitment to Sustainable Development, "The Finland we want by 2050", and to communicate the outcomes of the implementation.
- To multiply the number of operational commitments, raise the target level and enhance the effectiveness of the commitment process.
- To support the different actors and the cooperation between them so that the perspective of sustainable development and the implementation of Agenda2030 are taken into account in society at large.
- To translate the goals and principles of Society's Commitment to Sustainable Development into societal practices.
- To strengthen policy coherence and to mainstream the national policy on sustainable development in the state administration.
The Commission may appoint divisions and working groups. Persons who are not members of the Commission may also be invited to attend the work of these bodies. In addition to its regular meetings (2-3 times a year), the Commission organises seminars and joint meetings with different actors. The Development Policy Committee has cooperation with the Commission.
In addition to the general secretariat, the Coordination Network consisting of representatives from the ministries is responsible for the preparation of the Commission's work.
The Commission's work is supported and challenged by the Expert Panel on Sustainable Development and the 2030 Agenda Youth Group.
In 2020, a special Round Table of Climate Policy was established in connection with the Commission for Sustainable Development